[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Palmer Indicator

Tony,

Either you forgot to attach the chart or Yahoo dumped it.
Better option would be to upload one to the files section.

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tony M <t4tonym@xxx> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Preston's formula does exactly what you asked for, so I'm not
quite sure why you say that it's "not exactly what you were looking
for"   ..... ???  However an alternative, longer and less elegant
(but perhaps more "English language-like") coding of your concept
might be:

> {$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-)}
> HighestVolume45d:= HHV(V,45);
> LowestVolume45d:= LLV(V,45);
> VolRange:= HighestVolume45d - LowestVolume45d;
> Palmer:= 100*V/(VolRange + 0.000001);
> Smoothed:=Mov(Palmer,5,E);
> BuyThreshold:=67;
> SellThreshold:=33;
> BuySignal:=100;
> SellSignal:=0;
> SignalOutput:= If(Smoothed>BuyThreshold,BuySignal, If
(Smoothed<SellThreshold,SellSignal,50));
> {Now display results: 100= (your idea of) "Buy", 50=Null, 0=(your
idea of) "Sell"}
> Smoothed;
> SignalOutput
> {$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-)}
>
> Attached is a chart for you showing Apple Computer (APPL) price in
the middle window and
> in the bottom window the actual volume (dark red bars), your
smoothed "Palmer Indicator" (bright red line),
> and your proposed indicator (light blue line).
>
> What you can see is that the indicator response due to high
volume  (your proposed "Buy" signal) appears to make sense and to
correspond to price turning points, either tops OR bottoms, but the
low volume response (your proposed "Sell" signal) really does not
correspond to anything.

> This is because the big price action occurs when a lot of people
(or a few people with very big orders) are in the market and the
volume is high. Therefore I suggest that you re-examine your
indicator, forget about the low volume threshold (because nothing
much is happening then), try adjusting the high volume threshold
value a bit, and use this high volume response not as a buy
indicator (your original concept) but rather as an an indicator for
TURNING POINTS, which could be EITHER tops or bottoms.

> If you want to read an intersting book about using volume to help
your trading, you might try Donald Cassidy's book "Trading on
Volume - The Key to Identifying and Profiting from Stock Price
Reversals". (McGraw Hill publishers, 2002).

> Happy trading,
> Cheers,
> TonyM

<*> Your email settings: