From: Tony M <t4tonym@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Roy Larsen <rlarsen_quik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2007 1:30:03 AM
Subject: Re: (Another) beginners question

Roy,

Thanks for sending this source code.  Yes unfortunately the bad news for me is that you are correct in that it does not have the one very thing, the date extraction component,  that I need. However the good news is:  a) Although it's written in Borland Delphi and I use PowerBasic, they are similar enough that it is not too difficult to figure out, and b) It has a few other bis of code syntax that I think I can learn something useful from. Even though they are not what I was looking for, I will probably find a good use for them sometime before very long.

With regard to  creating DLL's in MSX, writing the actual code algorithm part itself is not dthe hard part, and if you are comfortable using Excel
 macros in VBA, then you do not even have to learn C++ at all.  PowerBasic is cheap to buy and is "basically" the same as Excel VBA (macros) language, but it complies very efficiently and allows you to save the results as a DLL file.  The only painful part is the few little bits of MDK-MSX-specific syntax that the MDK manual does not explain properly.  If you want to start writing DLL's, you don't need to wait to learn C++, but you (we) do need to find out about these few small and specific bits of syntax without which the thing won't run, whatever language the source code is written in.

Thanks for helping.
Let's make a deal, whichever of us is the first to get hold of a DLL source code, any MSX DLL, in any programming language, as long as it specifically uses Date data, let's send it to the other one, OK ?

Best regards,
Tony