From: markumansky <no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:35:51 PM
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Downloading prices ...  and lots more ... for free

            Hi Tony,

It took me a while to get it working but once I got it, it works

perfectly! Thank you very much for your advice and assistance.

Mark

--- In equismetastock@ yahoogroups. com, Tony M <t4tonym@xxx > wrote:

> Dear Markumansky,

> Step 1.

> I assume that you are familiar with Excel. If not, then you need to

learn to use Excel first.

> Open an Excel spreadsheet and go to:  Data | Import External Data |

New Web Query

box you should see:  http://www.msn. com/

source, for example www.finance. yahoo.com

> and then click "Go". If you are connected to the Internet, you will

then see the web page on the small screen.

> Whatever you see on that small window, you can then import directly

to Excel.

> So, if you went to Yahoo Finance Home, enter a stock symbol & "Get

Quotes" and see the stock data in the small window.

> When the web page has been downloaded, just click the "Import" button.

> Excel asks what cell in the spreadsheet you want the data imported into.

> Select somewhere (e.g. "A1") and click OK.

> The spreadsheet now contains, in text format, all of the text data

from the web page that you were looking at. Very nice.

> You now have the main building block for a downloader for anything

you want

> ...  prices, fundamental data, whatever.... all for free !!  The

only thing you have to do now is to automate it so don't have to keep

pressing buttons each time for each stock.

> Step 2.

> Once you have Step 1 working OK, then:

> Excel | Tools | Macro | Record New Macro  ... OK.

> Now repeat Step 1, but this time you are recording everything as an

Excel macro.

> When the download from Step 1 is complete, stop the Excel macro

recorder.

> Go to Excel Tool | Macro Visual Basic Editor

> You can now see the Excel VBA code that was used to perform

everything from Step 1. The code is very short.

> In the line that starts "URL;         you will see the URL that you

chose, and also the symbol of the stock that you chose.

> If you are using Yahoo, this will be (for example):

> "URL;http://finance. yahoo.com/ q?s=mot"    (if, for example the stock

you were looking at was MOT).

> Now you can either change the stock symbol if you want more of the

same sort of data, or change the URL if

> you want data from somewhere else. With some simple programming (DO

loops) you can now set this up.

> Step 3.

> If you can already write VBA code for Excel, the next part is

straightforward programming (even for me, and I am not a programmer).

And if you don't know VBA, its easy to learn - either use the online

tutorials from the Microsoft website, or get a beginners book on

Visual Basic for Applications. (Note that you do NOT need to learn the

full version of Visual Basic, but only VBA for Excel). If you can

already do some simple programming, then one of your friends who knows

VBA should be able to show you enough in about an hour so that you can

get  started with the rest of this step).

> Replace the stock symbol with a variable, and then write VBA code to

create a (DO or FOR or WHILE) loop containing a list of whatever stock

symbols you want, use the variable to successively input the items

from your stock symbol list one by one, and add instructions of where

you want to write the results out to.  And basically that's your

downloader. It runs like any other macro in Excel.

> Tip: If I remember correctly, I think that when you try to download

stock

> price data from Yahoo and you want to do it in blocks of a number of

> stocks at a time, there is a limit of about 200 stock symbols per

> block. It's not much of a problem, but useful to know about it in

> advance so that you don't get frustrated when your block of 220 stock

> symbols won't download properly!

>   I made and used a downloader like this for a few years before I

bought Metastock. (THat was when I tried to do everythingin Excel).

Nowadays I prefer to get good quality price data for Metastock from a

daily data subscription service, but I still use my Excel "free

downloader" for automated downloading of a whole range of other

sharemarket data, fundamentals of all kinds, etc. Very useful.

> The only thing it costs is the time to learn to write a couple of DO

loops in VBA for Excel. And that's a great investment for anyone

serious about trading ! Getting data is easy. Figuring out what to do

with it after that is the harder part  :-))

> Best wishes,

> Tony M.

> ============ ========= ========= ====

free?