Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: 50 EMA Above/Below Ratio

bellamy_29m,
            The function is ALREADY normalized BECAUSE
both DaysAbove and DaysBelow formulas sum the SAME lookback periods!
There is no need to do anything!!!

DaysAbove:=Sum(C>EMA,lookback);
DaysBelow:=Sum(C<EMA,lookback);

Best regards,
              pablo

b> "There is a very big difference between just hammering away with
b> numbers, and understanding precisely what the numbers are showing you."

b> There is no (or at least very little) difference between:

b> {Method 1}
b> AboveDays/Max(BelowDays,1)

b> and

b> {Method 2}
b> AboveDays/lookback.

b> Put some sample data in it and see for yourself:

b> If lookback=10 and there was:

b> 0 days above the EMA and 0 days below the EMA (all the days were ON
b> the EMA, if it were possible)
=>> Method 1 = 0/Max(0,1) = 0.0 (WITHOUT tripping an error)
=>> Method 2 = 0/10 = 0.0

b> etc

b> 5 days above the EMA and 5 days below the EMA
=>> Method 1 = 5/5 = 1.0
=>> Method 2 = 5/10 = 0.5

b> etc

b> 10 days above the EMA and 0 days below the EMA
=>> Method 1 = 10/Max(0,1) = 10.0
=>> Method 2 = 10/10 = 1.0

b> Method 1 has a range of 0 to x, so is normalised in this range.
b> Method 2 has a range of 0 to 1, so is classically normalised.

b> The shape of the plotted graph will be the same, just on different
b> scales.  Method 1 will produce relatively smooth changes over a time
b> period (more 'roundness') as it has the larger range. Method 2 will be
b> a little more 'spiky' as the range is small in the same time period.

b> Trigger levels etc can be coded in exactly the same way, and will
b> produce very similar results, if not exactly the same results.

b> Instead of arguing about it here, why not write both systems into MS
b> and see which one YOU like.  I haven't bothered testing it in MS
b> becuase I don't value the indicator.  I am not going to say it wont
b> work for an individual's trading system, but, just by looking at the
b> code snippets I know that it isn't in MY trading style.

b> Again,
b> "There is a very big difference between just hammering away with
b> numbers, and understanding precisely what the numbers are showing you."

b> Its not a matter of being right or wrong; its a matter of YOU deciding
b> what INFORMATION you want to get out of YOUR plot.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM