From: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Ed Hoopes
Sent: Wednesday, 23 November 2005 5:43 AM
To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Parabolic trend "line"

The goal of many indicators is to determine the true trend of the
security in the presence of noise.

MS has pre-programmed 3 indicators that fit price to a straight line:

Lin Reg Ind
Lin Reg Slope
Lin Reg Trendline

My observation was that prices rarely move in a straight line, much
more common is that the price action is curved - like a section of a
parabola.  (A straight line is a special case of a parabola with the
x^2 term equal to zero)

After programming the fit to a quadratic, I found that it more
accurately determined the markets trend, with significantly less lag
than a fit to a straight line.

After normalizing prices to $100 and calculating the first derivative
of the quadratic at the most recent bar, I found that I had a
accurate, fast responding ranking system that worked well with ETF's.
 My portfolio of the top 4 ranked ETF's (out of a universe of 20 ) is
up 22% YTD with a max drawdown of 6%.

I trade the above system in 5 accounts for my family.  I am a private
investor - nothing for sale - no website.

Ed Hoopes