Re: [Metastockusers] free means no $

I haven't been following the discussion except for the posts today,
but... I just need to say that Jose has helped me out for no charge
several times in the past, first giving me the indicator I described
privately (for no charge, and not a simple piece of code) then tweaking
it when it wasn't doing what I needed it to do. For free.

I am a rabid capitalist and have no problem with people selling their
stuff, even on a board like this. To me it is pretty clear when someone
is peddling crap to credulous newbs and when someone else is a
programmer offering their services to those who want/need them. I guess
there is a problem in that my 'line in the sand' is going to be
different than yours. To me the difference is MEMBERSHIP - is the
individual a long-time, 'always here', contributing member of the group?
Jose and Roy are the models for this kind of behaviour. I don't know
whether Steve is - I don't recognize the name or his company. I have
watched Roy and Jose spend hundreds if not thousands of hours answering
questions from newbs. For free. Were they doing all of this in order to
eventually offer a for-pay service? I really don't care, as long as they
continue to contribute to the group and don't suddenly switch to
carnival-hawker shills spamming the thread with absurd promises and
dissing others.

Roy and Jose are high-end programmers. Their product is what it is. What
is the difference between one person making the group aware of his/her
services in a modest and unobtrusive way and another person coming on
and pitching his/her 'how to make a million dollars by next week' system?

I believe that we can define the difference, graph it on a stick, and
then hold the stick up and figure out who is who.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/zMEolB/TM