From: "Roy Larsen" <<A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>>
To: <<A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>>
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 02:00
AM
Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Weekly MACD
histogram
<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>> Alan> > I forgot to mention that the weekly formulas
(as well as the daily formulas for intraday charts) at> Jose's site all
had a bug in the middle 'J' definition. These have now been corrected and for
your> information here is the new line.> >
J:=If(A+LastValue(J)>2 OR B+(Q=1)=2,1,J);> > Roy>
> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Roy Larsen" <<A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
To: <<FONT
face=Verdana size=2>equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>>> Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 7:45 AM> Subject: Re:
[EquisMetaStock Group] Weekly MACD histogram> > > > Hi
Alan> >> > > I have a question on your formula.  In
some cases, you repeat the> > > definition of a variable.  For
example:> > > I:=Fml("Calendar Week counter");> > >
I:=Abs(I-ValueWhen(2-G,1,I)); M:=G OR I>0;> > >> >
> Is this similar to usage in computer programming? For example,> >
> x:=x+1.  Here, the old value of "x" is being operated on to produce
a> > > new value.> >> > Spot on. I find it is
often simpler to set up a basic variable and then adjust (or modify) it
a> > couple of times than try and include all the logic in only one
line. Each succeeding line starts> > with the variable definition
already create it and adds another logical component (or not) as> >
required.> >> > You can also create an entirely new variable
definition using a previously defined variable name.> > The reason for
doing this is ususally to get around the 20 var limit, and the new definition
would> > be created once the old definition was no longer required for
the remaining part of the formula.> >> > > Here are my
first attempts to decipher your "Weekly MACD - Close":> > > total
confusion and disarray.> > >> > >> > >
G:=LastValue(Highest(Sum(DayOfWeek()=F,5))=5);> >> > The
purpose of this variable is to identify if the chart is in daily or weekly
periodicy. My> > definition of a weekly chart is crude but reasonably
effective - if 5 successive bars anywhere in> > the chart are Friday's
then consider the chart to be weekly periodicy, otherwise assume daily>
> periodicy.> >> > By summing the number of successive
Fridays in any 5 bars I know that a result of 5 means that> five>
> contiguous bars are Friday. It would be extremely unusual for this to
happen on a daily chart and> > almost inevitable on a weekly
chart.> >> > Using Highest() means that I only need to see
this value once to come to the conclusion that the> > chart is weekly.
Using LastValue() makes a logical TRUE (ONE) available for use whereever I
want.> > One of the places I use the is in ValueWhen(2-G,J,C) for
example. What this says is if J is TRUE> > (greater than or equal ONE)
then look back to the previous value of CLOSE, but if G is TRUE then>
use> > the current value of CLOSE.> >> > Sorry
that my description is hurried but hope this helps.> >> >
b:=Highest(a);> > > c:=LastValue(b=5)> > >>
> > Explanation:> > >> > >
a:=Sum(DayOfWeek()=F,5);> > >
--------------------------------------> > > The value of F is input
by the user. Assume F=5, so no trading on> > > Saturday or
Sunday.> > > Assume that today is Monday (=1).> > >
Therefore:> > > Today: [DayOfWeek()=5] is False, or 0> >
> Previous day, Friday (because F=5): [] is True, or 1> > >
Thursday: [] is False, or 0> > > and so on.> >
periods, (0,1,0,0,0), which is 1> > > It seems to me that the sum
will always be "1", so already I must be> > > losing the thread
:-)> > > If I plot this bit as an indicator, I get a horizontal
line at Y=5> > > going back to 1994.  This implies that the
daily values are all "1"> > > :-)> > >
--------------------------------------> > > b:=Highest(a);>
> > --------------------------------------> > > b is the
highest ever value for "a", starting from the first day> > > loaded
in the chart until today.> > > By my analysis (paralysis?), this
can only ever be "1".  When plotted> > > in Metastock, it's
"5".> > > --------------------------------------> > >
c:=LastValue(b=5)> > >
--------------------------------------> > > If the last value of
the data array "b" is equal to "5", then c:=1> > > (True).>
> > Otherwise, c:=0 (False)> > >> > >>
> > --- In <FONT
face=Verdana size=2>equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>, "Roy Larsen" <<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>rlarsen@x...>> > >
wrote:> > > > Hi Alan> > > >> > >
> > I made my post at 2233 SHT (Scottish Highlands Time) and your>
> > reply> > > > > was at 2350.> > >
and sometimes I> > > forget to reply at all.> > >
estimate that> > > > > your book will take about four days to
write.  That's a lot less> > > than> > > >
> the several weeks it will take me to work through your response>
> > point> > > > > by point.> > >
obvious know-nothing to "walk me> > > > > through" something
that I described as "fiendishly complicated".> > > >>
> > > It's not a problem for me.> > > >> >
> > > On the subject of probabilities, no statistician would
believe> > > that,> > > > > out of the world's
total population of 7,000 (according to Fred> > > > >
Flintstone -it's probably double that by now), I find myself> > >
casually> > > > > boasting to the author about a "fiendishly
complicated" formula.> > > If> > > > > the
newsgroup moderators had any human feelings at all, they would> > >
> > have intercepted your post to prevent the affront to my
dignity.> > > >> > > > Your opinion is probably
shared by many, but you just happened to> > > be the one that put
it in writing.> > > > No offence taken.> > >
post a private> > > reply to a large group. Now that> >
> > can be embarrassing.> > > >> > > >
Regards> > > >> > > > Roy> >

Yahoo! Groups Links> > >> > >> >

Groups Links> >> >> >> >>
Yahoo! Groups Links> > <*> To visit your group on the web,
go to:>      <A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/equismetastock/<FONT
face=Verdana size=2>> > <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send
an email to:>      <A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
face=Verdana size=2>> > <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject
to:>      <A
href=""><FONT face=Verdana
size=2>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<FONT face=Verdana
size=2>>  > >