RE: [Metastockusers] MS System Tester vs TradeSim

With
all due respect to Jose, I find the MS system tester in 8.0/8.01 to be fairly
decent.  You don't have to compound your trades.  Just select points
only and use some common sense when going about your testing.  Do you
really think you are going to develop a strategy that you'll trade on a
compounding basis completely unchanged for the next 10 years?  To me
running a test like that is useless.  Try running your tests over one year
periods or three month periods (if you are an EOD trader).  This can be
done in the MS system tester.  You should be separating your data into
blocks anyway.  Why would you do this?  As a trader are you really
going to sit through 3, 6 or 12 months of a losing system?  No, you'll be
combing the internet or the trader magazines and books for the next
wonderful indicator.  So, why run tests that exceed this
timeframe?

<FONT
face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Also, the MS system tester can account for
commissions and slippage and various entry and exit points (i.e., today's close,
tomorrow's open, tomorrow if today's high is exceeded via a limit order,
etc.).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I'm
not saying the MS system tester is perfect by any means as there are some things
that I'd like to see it do better but I think it is a fairly decent
and certainly workable product.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Good
Trading,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Joe
J.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jose
  [mailto:josesilva22@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:48
  PMTo: Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [Metastockusers] MS System Tester vs TradeSimThe
  difference between MetaStock's System Tester (MSST) and TradeSim is like
  comparing night & day.MSST is based on compound trades, and is
  buggy and difficult to use.MSST doesn't take into account the trader's
  limited trading account.You cannot go on trading after your capital is
  depleted.  MSST keeps on backtesting after the most massive
  drawdowns.TradeSim considers entry & exit price slippage, testing
  on restrictedcapital (i.e. real-life trading), drawdowns, and thorough
  Monte Carlo testing and scatter plotting, just to mention the more
  important points.The number of variables available in TradeSim alone,
  would be difficult to replicate in a charting package.Take a look
  at this TradeSim backtest example:<A
  href="">http://users.bigpond.com/prominex/Pegasus/Peg-Eqty.htmMore
  here:<A
  href="">http://www.compuvision.com.au/index.htmjose
  '-)--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ktlau"
  <ktlau@xxxx> wrote:> I was led to believe, thru reading of
  various posting, that> TradeSim's capability for backtesting is very
  much advanced as> compared with MS's enhance system tester.> Can
  anyone elaborate the difference in capability between the two?>
  > > Tony

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To visit your group on the web, go to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metastockusers/