Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Alert Above A Line

Roy,

  First of all thank you for your responce.  I am, of course, not a
programmer.  To tell you EXACTLY what I am doing.  I am identifying
desending triangles to  monitor for a break out.  Descending Triangles
that are forming at the end of an uptrend.

  Now I'm tracking too many formations to watch each one I've located
individualy so I need to set up alerts.  With ascending triangles it
was easy.  The top of an ascending triangle is a fixed value.
Say....50.  So I can set up a little alert in the expert system that
says c>50.  And if the close is greater than 50 I get an alert.

  But a descending triangle is not so easy.  I know where each value
is along the line.  But not how to program it in so that:
C > (decending trangle line)   I could easily furnish two points for
the line to be formed but it is as you say a forward point in time
when the price may close above that line extended downward into the
future.

   As usual when I ask for help, I probably did not give enough detail.

By the way, if anyone is interested in the formula I'm using they can
have it.  It's merely something I found on the net and modified to
help me locate desending triangles with an uptrend preceding them.
It's far from perfect.  I still have to dig through a good number of
false hits by hand to find ones that are actually good triangles
formations.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx> wrote:
> Metastockuser
>

> > I'd like to use two points to define an ascending or descending line
> > then be alerted if price closes above that line.
> >
> > I know that I can drop the formula into the Expert system and when I
> > open the chart, the alert will generate.
> >
> > But how would I define the line so that I can set it up to make a
> > Close Greater then the line create an alerts.  A flat line is easy,
> > just enter the price.  But an ascending or decending line would have
> > to be defined somehow.
>
> There are a number of examples of drawing a line between two points
in the archives but I suspect
> this is not what you want.  You say you want to draw a line between
two points but I'm assuming that
> the first point is known (time and value) and the second point is a
projection to some time and
> value in the future.
>
> The essential elements required for such a line are, one, a starting
time and value, and two, an
> increment or decrement per bar. If you know these things then the
code and maths is basic stuff.

> The line might be coded something like this.
>
> ValueWhen(1,"unique event","starting value") + ("calculated
increment")*BarsSince("unique event");

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511