[Metastockusers] Re: ATR - True & Reverse

Peter and others,

Whilst the EMA has influences beyond its intended lookback period, its
periodicity approximates SMA periodicity - it is not out by a factor
of two as in the MS ATR smoothing.

"I don't agree with the thinking behind the statement "should be .. an
average of the True Range over 10 periods" for the following reason."

In that case you are in disagreement with MetaStock Help:
"The Average True Range is simply the average of the true ranges over
the past x periods (where x is specified by the user)"

The MS Average True Range is simply *not* the average of True Ranges
over the past x periods.  As used in MS, it is a smoothing mechanism
that in effect averages the True Range over almost twice the user's
intended lookback periodicity.

jose '-)

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Peter Kuskopf" <pkuskopf@xxxx>
wrote:
> We could argue that Wilders should have used a slightly different
name for his indicator, but I guess an inventor has the prerogative.

> I don't agree with the thinking behind the statement "should be ..
an average of the True Range over 10 periods" for the following
reason.

> Both Wilders and Exponential smoothing contain influences from
further back than the nominated periods. That is, "periods" is a
damping factor, not a limitation on the data to be included in the
calculation. There are probably many other indicators where the term
"periods" is used loosely in this way.

> I think it's just another little fact that we need to remember
if/when transferring code between trading platforms, Wilders original
definition of ATR used his own method of smoothing which probably
pre-dated computer calculation of the current common definition of an
EMA.

> At various times, I have used 3 different measures of volatility,
ATR(n), SMA(ATR(1),n), and EMA(ATR(1),n), and in my systems, I always
adjust "n" to sit inside a range of robust optimised values. I've
never noticed much difference between the variants when compared
against the differences caused by my own inadequacies.