[Metastockusers] Re: Simple System, BUT... How Do I Avoid Gaps When Testing?

Your trades rules state:

GENERAL
Order Bias: Long Orders
Portfolio Bias: Single
Position Limit: Limit number of simultaneous positions to 2

Try changing the position limit to a 1

Hope it helps!

Preston

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jnick1_97" <jnick99@xxxx>
wrote:
> Yes, I was hoping someone would suggest that. Guess what? That's
> exactly how I wrote the formula at first! No delay on the buy order
> and everything. Exactly how Joe suggested.
>
> Here's the REAL problem. If you set it up like Joe suggested, for
some
> odd reason, the Enhanced System Tester does not allow back to back
buy
> and sell orders for two consecutive days.
>
> Remember, you can actually have two orders on the same day. An order
> to sell an existing position on the open, (because yesterday's close
> was below the typical price) and a buy order to establish a new
> position, (because yesterday's close was below the typical price) if
> the stock can trade up today through the Typical price +.05.
>
> BUT... The following day you can have the exact same situation,
> because again, the stock closed below the Typical Price. When this
> occurs, (for some odd reason that I can't understand), MetaStock's
> System Tester issues a new buy order but fails to submit an order to
> sell the existing position on the open. Hence, if the buy order
> triggers, which does happen quite often, you are now long two
hundred
> shares! Remember, I'm only trading one hundred shares at a time in
> this test. There should never be a time when more than 100 shares
are
> held long.
>
> Try it yourself both ways. If you set it up like I described, you
can
> either look in the Orders section after the test completes or plot
the
> trades on the chart. There's never more than 100 shares held at a
time
> and you can see back to back (two consecutive bars) where both a buy
> and sell order are submitted and executed.
>
> Set it up like Joe suggested (like I had it originally) and there is
> never a time when two consecutive bars have both a buy and sell
order
> executed, which results in holding multiple 100 share lots.
>
> Is this a glitch in the Enhanced System Tester?
> Is there a different way to write the formula to prevent this?
> Anyone have any idea why this is even happening?
>
> It has me scratching my head because I can't understand why two
> consecutive bars can have both buy and sell orders one way the
formula
> is written, but not the other way.
>
> It should work perfectly the way Joe suggested. But it doesn't!
>

> --- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe J." <jojab@xxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, in looking at it rather quickly, what you need to do is
> something like this on your buys:
> >
> > ref(c,-1) < ref(typical(),-1)
> > AND
> > open <= ref(typical(),-1)+.05
> >
> > Change your entry delay to zero because you are buying on the
> current bar (but basing the decision on the prior bar).

> [...]
Avoid Gaps
> When Testing?
> >
> > I'm rather new to system testing, so I created a simple (Long
Only)