[Metastockusers] Re: Dead stocks

<previous replies snipped>

I believe the previous responses will only work in MS7+.  I have
MS6.52 and cannot delete the stocks as a result from an exploration.

Why would you want to?

I get my data from www.paritech.com.au  They have a system whereby
I can select which stocks get downloaded into which folders.  I can
keep a folder with only stocks, another folder just for warrants and
yet another folder for options.  I have folders for banks, gold
miners, ASX200 companies, ASX100 companies etc.  Non-trading and de-
listed stocks get deleted after a time period, automatically.  Maybe
you ought to be looking for similar services from your data providers.

This makes explorations lightning fast when you don't have to search
through options and warrants etc if only looking to trade in stocks,
or if your criteris is specifically designed for types of stocks such
as the banks etc

Also, what if a company hasn't traded in the last month or so just
because they are in some sort of quiet period, and then begins
trading when they strike oil/gold/contracts etc?  If you have deleted
the stock then you might miss out on the profits when they start
trading again!

I run all of my explorations against all stocks (for example) and
include a date expression in the filter to only show me, in the
reports, those stocks that have met my exploration condition AND have
traded in the last month.

This means that every exploration has to have a date component in the
filter, which can be a pain to keep up-to-date when running many
explorations, unless you, like I:

1. Create a new indicator, called "Variables"
2. As the indicator formula, type:
      varMonth:=11;
      varYear:=2003;
3. Save and close the indicator.

Now in your explorations, add to the filter:
{exploration criteria in here}
AND Month()>=FmlVar("Variables","varMonth")
AND Year()>=FmlVar("Variables","varYear")

When you need to update the dates for all of your explorations, then
you only need to edit the variables stored in the formula section of
the indicator, "Variables".  Simple, and you wont miss out on getting
into the profits from some of those sleepy companies.

I also use the indicator to store all my variables for other
indicators such as MAs etc.  Just use LastValue(FmlVar
("Variables","varWhatIamLookingFor")) to address them.

Hope this helps.

wabbit :D

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511