RE: [Metastockusers] Re: Writing code for "the first time an event happens"

Hi
Philip,
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
Have a look at the
jpeg attached.
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
On the chart: 55EMA
= heavy blue; 13EMA = Purple; 8EMA = Magenta
The indicator
windows: top (heavy blue) = rising 55EMA; next (heavy magenta) = 8EMA above 13
EMA; next one (blue) = metarockx Signal; last one (purple) = my
Signal
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
Note the multiple
occurences of the 8EMA/13EMA cross that do not create a
signal.
Note that the first
cross after the 55EMA kicks up always results in a signal.
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
I think it is doing
what you describe below.
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
I think your problem
is with your definition of "Trend"; maybe you SEE a trend that commences after
the March 2003 pullback and in your mind this trend is still intact; however,
your "Trend" indicator is the rising 55EMA and this has experienced four
reversals since the March low; admittedly 3 of them were one day reversals and
one lasted 2 days - still sufficient to reset the Signal ready for the next
8EMA/13EMA cross (in your indicator as it is currently
written).
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
I often find that
dissecting a multiple condition indicator like this into its compenents and
plotting them separately helps me to see exactly what is
happening.
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
Trust this
assists.
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
Good
trading,
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>Mike
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>
<SPAN
class=860141319-06122003>

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: salzburg10708
  [mailto:pschmi02@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Sunday, 7 December 2003 5:41
  AMTo: Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [Metastockusers] Re: Writing code for "the first time an event
  happens"Strongly agree about posting to the list,
  Mike. You beat me to thepunch.  :-)It never ceases to amaze
  me how difficult it is to express exactlywhat one would like to code, and
  I woke up this morning realizing thatI STILL have not put into precise
  terms what I want to explore for. Judging from the .jpg you sent, your
  code and that of metarockx,generates a signal every time the event takes
  place subsequent to thetrend kicking in. But the only event I want to
  identify is the firstone of its kind when none other of its kind has
  preceded it since thetrend condition kicked in.Let me try one more
  time:1. Trend condition obtains2. Retracement condition obtains
  today, BUT3. as of yesterday, the retracement condition has never obtained
  sincethe trend condition was first true.So if today represents the
  second, third or "x" time the retracementcondition has occurred since the
  beginning of the trend, that's notwhat I'm looking for.Let's make
  believe I could write the following condition:Condition1:=
  ALERT(fml("retracement"), since the beginning of thetrend);Well,
  what I'm looking for is: condition1=false. Generally I can express
  myself reasonably well, but in this case I'mevidently verbally challenged.
  What a way to start of on a new list!For those of you who are losing
  patience with me, please hang on onemore
round.Philip

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor