[EquisMetaStock Group] Bugs in v8.01

I have been working with the Equis Technical Support personnel since
I purchased v7.0 in June of 2000.  The support has been excellent, so
when v8.0 was released, I bought it.  I had developed my own trading
algorithm and was particularly interested in being able to calibrate
it against a portfolio of equities with the System Tester.  However,
I found the number of bugs in v8.0 was overwhelming and I had to
revert back to using the v7.22 System Tester. My personal observation
was that version 8.0 was not even qualified for alpha testing at the
time of its release.

I was delighted when v8.01 was released six months later.  I thought
the bugs had been corrected.  I was wrong.  I discovered that v8.01,
although a big improvement, would barely qualify as a beta test
version.  I was both upset and embarrassed because I had talked two
friends into buying v8.01.

With both v7.22 and v8.01 on the same computer it is easy to compare
System Tester results.  The results between the two versions running
the identical algorithm are drastically different, regardless of
whether they are being run in normal or points-only mode. This occurs
when v8.01 has been carefully configured to reproduce v7.22 results.
Bottom line is that v7.22 results make sense, v8.01 results do not.
Technical support has not been able to explain the differences, nor
provide a workable solution. I still do not use v8.01.  I use only
v7.22 because it is the only version that I trust.

What I find unusual is that I can't find any other reference on the
internet to the mismatch between v7.22 and v8.01 System Tester
results.  In my 43 years of using computers for problem solving, and
having written, debugged, and documented roughly 100,000 lines of
code, one of the primary requirements when modifying programs is that
they must be able to correctly reproduce previously validated
results.  This test was obviously not applied to v8.0 or v8.01.  Yet
it is the only way to validate the changes made to the program.

Is there anyone out there that encountered this situation and
understands its significance?

David

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511