[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Back Testing Questions

John,

  I'm merely trying to understand it so I can break it out and test
it.  I've recently gone live with my own SPY system.  If I were to
find a better system I'd sure be willing to trade it.

But I have to see the equity line over ten years or so of data in
different markets and so forth.  check out the drawdown, etc etc.
Also, I want the stats so I can know EXACTLY what to expect going
forward in number of losing trades in a row, winning trades in a row,
average loss, average win, relative and absolute drawdown, and so
forth.  So if it encounters a market it does not work well in I'll
know by the behavior against past stats hopefully before my bottom
line is seriously affected.  But that means I have to run the tests to
have the data on hand to use as control limits for using or no longer
using the system.

One reason I like tradesim for back testing is that it makes it easier
for me to see on a month by month and year by year basis exactly how
the system plays out.  I also don't have to play games with it to get
it around 8.0 issues regarding next day purchases being cancled and so
forth.

I just don't see why anyone would take offence at someone trying to
understand an indicator so they can back test it.  It took longer to
lecture me on it than it would have to put a few lines of
understanding by each code line so I could understand what it was
actually doing.

My problem is that I'm so new to all this and programming in
particular that it's like trying to understand greek.  But I'm
certainly smart enough not to play a system that I haven't first run
my own back tests against.  Hand work is fine, and I fully understand
the need to work through enough trades by hand to make sure the system
test is valid.  I find setting up an expert system and comparing it to
trade logs helps in that regard.  But nothing beats running a system
tester of years and years of data in various types of markets to get
at the performance of a system in a reasonable amount of time.

I appreciate the work this guy did and am sure he did a fine job.  As
soon as I have time to work it out I'm sure I'll enjoy running the
test and seeing how it performs in various markets.

Just pasting someone elses work into my expert system and using it
without understanding it and backtesting it is not something I would
ever do.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, johndoeforever49

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511