[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Metastock Advanced Trailing Stop plugin

Richard,
Thank you for posting your Advanced trailing stop plugin.
The Metastock community really appreciates it!

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Richard Dale" <richard@xxxx>
wrote:
> As promised a while back to several people, I've put together a
advanced trailing stop system...

> For those who don't know what a trailing stop looks like, here's a
chart as an attachment.

> Here's a cut-and-paste of my introduction to the Advanced Trailing
Stop.
> INTRODUCTION
> The Advanced Trailing Stop, based on the Chandelier Exit developed
by Chuck Le Beau, is volatility-based. Using the Metastock Developer's
Kit, I developed a I developed a Metastock DLL because the Metastock
Formula Language lacked a simple way of referencing prices from the
entry day of the trade. If you just want to download the DLL, scroll
to the bottom of this page.

> Many traders set stops according to a fixed % movement. However, the
% method needs to be adjusted according to the volatility of the
security being traded. Using a volatility based stop means that your
stop automatically takes account of the security's volatility.

> For example, if the security has a high volatility, your stops will
be a reasonable distance away from the price action (to give the
security room to move in its normal intraday movements). If a security
has a low volatility then the stop will be relatively closer to the
price action. If the security's volatility changes whilst a trade is
underway, the stops will adjust according to this volatility. The
advantage to this type of stop is that it can be used in any market
(blue chip stocks, speculative stocks, futures, index trading, mutual
funds etc.)

> The Advanced Trailing Stop has the following components:
>
>   a.. Initial Stop, expressed in terms to the entry day (eg. Closing
price less 2 ATRs)
>   b.. Trailing Profit stop, calculated on each bar of the day after
entry (eg. High less 3.5 ATRs)
> Optionally, you can also incorporate the following types of stops:
>
>   a.. Breakeven stop - this is calculated on the entry day and is
implemented when the stock passes a "transition point". (eg. Move my
initial stop to a breakeven stop when the price closes 2 ATRs above my
entry price). I believe this transition/breakeven stop was part of the
original Turtles trading technique.
>   b.. Pyramid Points/Tightening Stops - the Trailing Profit Stop can
be recalculated when the stock passes further transition points. I
have defined two such points. (eg. When the stock moves more than 4
ATRs above my entry price, change to a trailing profit stop that is
the High less 3 ATRs. If it reaches 6 ATRs above my entry price,
change to a trailing profit stop that is the high less 2.5 ATRs).
Chuck Le Beau talks about this tightening of the stops in his original
newsletter.
> If any of your stops are hit, the Stop Loss line will continue to be
drawn across the screen. This is good for your psychologically if you
can't get out of a trade. It'll keep telling you to get out!  The line
will not trail the price any further (it will be flat) just to
re-emphasise that you should be out of the trade.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511