[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Help in understanding ma formula

"can't the formula for entering long just be:

C > Mov(C,opt1,VAR) ?"

This condition describes a situation where the close is above the
moving average, but it could be ANY time, either on the day that the
crossover happens or ten days later or a hundred days later.

The entry signal:

C > Mov(C,opt1, VAR) AND Ref(C,-1) <= Ref( Mov(C,opt1,VAR), -1)

describes a much more specific event, when the close is greater than
the moving average AND ALSO that the close was BELOW the moving
average YESTERDAY.  That gives you a signal for an event that
happened on a specific day, instead of a general condition that the
close is above the moving average.

I just read the "Formula Book" in our group files here, and it's a
really excellent guide, especially for getting you to "think" the way
Metastock "thinks.":)

Luck,

Sebastian