[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Incorporating fundamentals into explorations.

Equis sells a DLL module that can be called from a formula.  From the
DLL you can write code to do any crazy thing you want.  The only
limitation is the DLL is only called once from the entire plot
calculation.  They do not call you each time as they walk through the
price array.  Sicne at that point you know the symbol, you could make
a series from PE or Earnings and then plot or compare it any way you
want.

Of course you will have to do the work in a high level language like
C or C++.

Hope this helps

Eric

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sebastiandanconia
<no_reply@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm probably the last guy to have figured this out, but on the off-
> chance I'm only the next-to-the-last, here's my idea.:)
>
> I don't so much follow individual stocks as much as the major
> indices, and my main interest is in the health/lack of health in
the
> overall market.  However, MS explorations, systems, etc., are
pretty
> much price-derived, making it tricky to incorporate fundamentals.
> But what you could do is create a formula that DOES incorporate a
> fundamental value, then reference that formula in an exploration.
>
> For example, let's say you already have a trend-following system
that
> you use with the SP500, but it would be valuable for you to know
when
> the P/E is making it a little pricey (or cheap).  You write a
simple
> formula, like CLOSE/$45.77 (get the earnings number from the
Standard
> & Poor's website: TTM, annualize-out the present quarter, estimated
> 2003, whatever way you choose).  Then add it as a filter in your
> exploration, like:
>
> WHEN (colA>colB)AND WHEN (colC>colB) AND WHEN fml("SP500 P/E")<25
>
> which would give you a signal when your first two conditions are
met
> AND WHEN the P/E for the SP500 is less than 25.
>
> You could do this for a whole portfolio of stocks, too, but you'd
> need a different formula for each one since they all have different
> earnings levels and you'd have to change them once a quarter.
Still,