Date: 03/02/97 at 11:15:14
From: Anonymous
Subject: Exponents and negative numbers

Dear Dr. Math,

In different texts about this same question, I can find two different
answers. The solution to: (-3)squared = 9. But when -3 is squared
(without the brackets), one source may say 9 while another source
says -9.

In context, the -3 squared used in sequence will always be -9; why
would the exponent apply to the negative sign unless it is enclosed
by a sign of grouping? In short, why wouldn't the answer to -3
squared, standing alone and without parenthesis or brackets, be -9?

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,
Marvin E. Crim

----