Fwd: RE: Religion & Fundamentalism

Mankind has always been very inventive in finding pretexts for waging war on others, the most convenient being of course religion. If somebody quotes religion as the reason for his aggression or violence he thinks himself automatically on the side of God, and absolved of baser motives like jealousy, greed, or fear of aliens. The most poignant reminder of what this can lead to are the belt-buckles of the soldiers in WWI: The English ones were stamped with an inscription saying "God with us", while on the German buckles it said "Gott mit uns". The basic question here is: "Do you accept that your neighbour may have a different religion and a different way of striving for salvation than you do?" This is exactly what the American constitution guarantees in the freedom of the pursuit of happiness - and is exactly what fundamentalists of all descriptions want to squash. We, in Europe have fought vicious, prolonged and extremely bloody battles over this issue in the 16th. & 17th. centuries called the "Wars of Religion" that were after more than a hundred years of fighting finally resolved in the "Age of Enlightnment". The American Constitution is the clearest formulation of the ideas then developed. These freedoms, this acceptance of others as self-defined, free-willed individuals are what fundamentalists, whatever their guise, fear and hate. That the Taliban has made Christianizing into a capital offence is one of the more glaring examples; the ongoing campaign of certain American fundamentalists against "Evolutionism" that even succeeded in having a scientific theory struck out of school-books in several States, is another. As an aside, I'd urge everyone most strongly not to equate Islam with intolerance. The opposite is the case: Judaism and Christianity have always been fully recognized by Islam as religions "of the Book", and especially Jews have until recently found more acceptance and freedoms in the Islamic than in the Christian world. When did the Pope proclaim his acceptance of Judaism? That's only a few years ago while on the other hand even under the present regime, the Persian Christian community has a seat in the Iranian parliament. On a practical level, I'm afraid we have become much too complacent as regards our philosophy, and we have sadly neglected the need for an ongoing dialogue with the Islamic peoples. The budgets of "The Voice of America" and the German "Goethe Institut", to name only two, have in the past years been pared down so much, that these institutions which I regard as crucial to the spreading of our culture and world-view, have been reduced to near insignificance. As long term success in fighting extremism must to an important extent depend on the Islamic countries, intercultural exchange should be re-instituted or intensified. Let's start immediately with upscaling the aforesaid agencies and others like them. Jan Willem Roberts I could not agree more. Religion (any of them) must have killed more people than plague, aids and cancer put together! God is just a poor excuse for not taking responsability for our own action and destiny. Religion is the worst plague than humanity never had to fight. Herve -----Original Message----- From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of voltage Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2001 10:25 AM To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Religion Throughout history it has been the excuse of all radical fundamentalists as an excuse for murder.Lets restart day one with no religion to compensate for those lowest common denominators.We are the masters of our own destiny,not "God"