Re: Windows 98(1) More than 512 MB's Memory & Vcache.

Neo,
when you used 1 GB of RAM, you were getting system lockups because you didn't
set your MAXFILECACHE.  The MINFILECACHE setting is not that important.  When
you set the MAX, Windows will probably just use that amount.  With CacheMan (
http://www.outertech.com/product.php?product=3 ), I experimented with the CACHE
size and couldn't get it to go over about 55 MB's.  Don't remember the exact
figures,  I think I had 192 MB's at the time.  Cacheman is totally free with no
adware.

If you obtain Norton System Doctor, you will get a better idea what's happening
with your machine.  NSD is included in Norton Utilities.  Other utilities are
OnTrack Fix-It Utilities 4.0 ( http://www.ontrack.com/fixit/ ) and McAfee
Utilities v4.0 (
http://mcafeestore.beyond.com/Product/0,1057,3-18-ML100110,00.html ).  I
recommend you place these settings in your SYSTEM.INI file:
[vcache]
chunksize=2048
maxfilecache=40960

You don't need a VCache larger than 40 MB's.  Anything larger will just slow
your machine.  Your CHUNKSIZE should be equal to or half of your hard drive
partition cluster size.  If your partitions are all smaller then 8 GB's, you
should set your CHUNKSIZE to 4096 or 2048.  I should change my CHUNKSIZE to
4096.

You should allow Windows 98 to manage your swap file.  Setting it to a fixed
size is acceptable.  Every time you start up Windows must create your 512 MB
file.  I believe when you shut down Windows deletes your Swap file.  This is
also true when you drop into MS-DOS mode.  It's been a long time since I've
looked at these things so you'll have to verify it.  The total amount of memory
available to Windows 9x is your physical memory + your swap file size.  After
you get NSD, you will get a better idea how your system behaves in terms of Swap
File size and you will be able to set an optimized fixed size.

Daniel.