RE: Windows 98(1) More than 512 MB's Memory

Daniel

I would suggest not adding more than 512 MB of memory. I tried to do this
about a year ago. In Win98 there is a dedicated area of memory called the
System Memory. It handles memory addressing, DOS programs, graphics, etc.
When it did not work I spoke with one of the senior engineers at Micron who
confirmed the problem. When Win98 was first programmed, no one had any idea
of the amount of RAM people would be using.

I use a simple memory monitor on my desktop to follow RAM usage. If it goes
over 512 MB I reboot. Things that take a lot of memory are large file
operations. I have a problem when either doing large file transfers,
deletions, or certain system tests and explorations with MetaStock. Win98
reclaims very little memory once used so the only option I have found that
works is to monitor it and reboot when needed.

Windows 98 allows one to set ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 so that all RAM is
used before the swapfile. Unfortunately with Win2000 one is not able to give
it this command so more memory is just a waste (see Microsoft knowledge
base). I hope this is fixed with XP.

neo