Mathematica (was Re: MathCAD break out graphs)

Walter,

to tell briefly about my experiences with Mathematica - after having been
married first to C, then to C++, for almost two decades, I finally made a
complete switch to Mathematica a few years ago, and have not regretted it
for one moment. What had taken hundreds of lines of programming code to
accomplish in C++ can now usually  be done in just a few lines of
Mathematica code.

As regards Linear Algebra, this is a cinch with Mathematica. Again, one or
two lines of code will often replace a whole C++ program.

It took quite some time for me to reorganize my thinking to match the
language, though. As you know, the Mathematica programming language is built
upon powerful pattern-matching and list-processing engines, along with the
usual functional and object-oriented syntax mechanisms also found in other
languages. Therefore, C-style programming is, as a rule, about as
inappropriate for Mathematica as, say, assembler-style jump instructions
would be for C++. So I definitely had to do some intensive retraining of my
thought-processes (by means of some excellent books) to really get the hang
of this new paradigm.

Best regards,

Michael Suesserott