Re: Computer memory, etc.

I have tried   and used several national brands and house brands in the
past.
The worst 2 were a house brand and a national brand (not Compaq)
Compaq's software service/quality depended on the current Compaq policy.
Sometimes they would get things fixed and running quickly, sometimes not. I
could never figure out what the Compaq add-ons did or why they had them.
Dell managed with plain vanilla Windows.
Gateway wouldn't support their own software without charging, even though
the computer was still under warrantee. Hardware support was OK, software
wasn't.
Quantex was a total loss in quality and reliability, and then abruptly went
belly up reneging on their service contracts.
Some private shops do a great job some don't.
About 5 years ago I bought a national brand at a sore similar to CompUSA.
The tech support was terrible even though they were an approved service
center. I now pay for home service for 3 years.  Its cheaper and faster than
lugging my computer to a store and leaving it there for several days. It
isn't a perfect solution as you wind up dealing with the cheapest
sub-sub-sub contractor.

Many years ago I was told (anecdotal information, I never checked it) that
there was a law or industry practice, that when a model was discontinued or
a company failed, service and parts continued for 5 years.  This seemed to
occur with Studebaker and American Motors cars. It never occurred with
computers. Does anyone know about this rule/practice?

Biggest complaint: Most software tech support is more or less inadequate. It
generally doesn't exist if different parties' software is involved.

Lionel Issen
lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx