Re: Computer memory, etc.

Shashi Aggarwal marred otherwise excellent comments [ 8-) ]
by concluding:

> PS: A happy compromise is to buy a national brand at a local electronic
> store e.g. buy a Compaq at your local Best Buy store, etc.

Is this really a new message, or has the list server barfed?  One of my own
messages just came through for the second time, maybe two weeks late.

Anyway, I just noticed the recommendation of Compaq and can't
let it pass.  Take a look at alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq before buying
one of their systems.  Unless things have changed radically in the
last couple of years, their proprietary add-ons to Windows are so
bug-infested that they make Windows itself look good, and the
errors they make build up until you can't use the thing any more.
Or so it was with my aging Compaq, which I use as seldom as
possible.

Worse yet, on that model, though not with others in the same
line, there was no way to re-install part of the operating system or
otherwise fix things without bombing out all your files.  It was go
back to the bare hard drive, or live with the problems.  And sooner
or later, it froze up so badly that living with it became impossible.
Because I used the system so rarely, I only had to reinstall all my
software four times in two years.  I've heard of folks who had to do
it eight or ten times in six months.

Owen Davies