RE: money management

Glen,

That was an excellent post and enjoyable read!

I did want to add this point: one thing that's implicit in all
discussions of money management is that the system has to be
profitable.  The only benefit that money management will have on a
losing system will be to stretch out the pain, or at least give the
trader a chance to fix things.

When looking at a system, the standard deviation of your historical
returns can be quite important.  A while back I posted about how to
export these from Metastock into Excel to do this analysis when used
in a t-test.  You can use these same standard deviation results from
your trades to look at your system for money management as well.

If I have two systems, one makes great returns but has a wide
variation in the resulting trades, and the other makes small amounts
with a much narrower variation in the trade results.  Which one to
trade????  --Trick question.  Trade both, but treat each one
differently.

Somewhat intuitively, you know that in the first system, you can't bet
the whole wad because it's very likely to blow up.  You're going to
have big drawdowns, and you'll need some trading account $$ in reserve
to trade through this.  Thus, a smaller trade size, or fewer contracts
per trade.

In the second system's case, the variability of your returns is much
lower.  You just know that you can trade this one bigger with a lot
less fear of blowing up.  In the end, the net profits can meet or
exceed those of the first system.

Money manangement is that finishing touch that a trader can put on a
system to extract superior performance.  It can also be used as a
defensive measure on a system with larger variability to ensure that
the account stays healthy long enough to enjoy those variable roaring
returns.

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO