RE: Equis have updated their Symbol database at last ***CAUTION***

Be Careful with this update (if the date is 7/6/2001). After I updated, I
tried to create a new security and received and error indicating the symbol
data base could not be located. I called tech support. According to them,
there is an "inconsistency" between 7.20 and their web site, which will be
fixed in maintenance release 7.21 (they did not provide a date), that causes
this. The only way to fix it is to reinstall MS (you don't have to uninstall
first). Before I did this, I copied the newly downloaded symbol data base to
a temp directory (from the downloader directory). I reinstalled MS 7.2 and
copied the old symbol database to a temp directory. I tested the downloader
to make sure the reinstall allowed me to get to the old symbol database,
which it did. I copied the new symbol database to the Downloader directory
and tried the Downloader again and was able to get to the new symbol data
base. It appears there is something in the automatic download process that
causes this.

As a side note...Am I the only person who complains about the frequency and
quality of updates to the symbol data base? With the 7/6 update it looks
like the finally added .VNX which has been available since 1/22/2001. You
could download it, but you had to know it existed and manually add the
symbol to the database. I called Reuters 3 times about this over the past
six months. I have also reported symbols and indices that haven't been
updated for years. They don't have an explanation (they always say they will
forward it on....probably to the "deleted" bin).  The other complaint I have
is that I have found no good way to determine what they have added, changed,
or deleted from the symbol data base.
The only reason I continue to use them is for the S&P industry/sector
indices. Does anyone know of another supplier who supplies these on a daily
bases (Quotes Plus has them, but they are only updated weekly, with weekly
only data).

Allan Wade
Phoenix, AZ
email: allanwade@xxxxxxxx