RE: Indicator System problem

Roy,

I've been using 4 different ways to debug the code:

1. Display within the indicator as you have.  I hadn't thought of colour -
good idea, and also incrementing each so they stand out.

2. Using other indicators.
E.g. plotting an indicator that simply contains FmlVar("ST - System","POS").
This has the benefit of allowing me to change the main system indicator
output independently.

3. Using the Data Window.  This displays values for all indicators and
values on display based upon where you move your mouse.  Very useful but it
won't display any values for a specific indicator unless they have all been
initialised.  Useful for confirming values when debuging calculations.

4. Using an Expert.
I have an Expert attached with Symbols defined for the Long Entry/Exit and
Short Entry/Exit conditions.  This is probably the most useful.  Give an at
a glance diagnosis of signals.
I've also defined a + Position (Long) to be highlighted green and a -
Position (Short) to be highlighted red.
Lastly, I display specific variables in the system indicator in a
commentary.  Gives a tabular output showing #long wins/loses etc. with added
value calculations.
The commentary displays values that have been initialised and an error msg
for those that haven't.

I've been using 3com (not sure how I settled on that) with about 2yrs of
data.

I've also just stripped out the code to basics so I can see what's
happening - a monthly test entry to boot...
Using this I've figured out what was happening.  I still had the Barsince()
in the Exit condition.  This was causing the Pos variable to initialise
late.
Now I've replaced it with your Alert() it's highlighted to me why you needed
to create another set of entry/exit conditions off Pos.  The Alert()
continues the Exit conditions.

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to work the Equity etc in now.

Sean
P.S. test code below

LongEntryPoint:=O; ShortEntryPoint:=O; LongExitPoint:=O; ShortExitPoint:=O;
LongEntry:=Mod(Month(),2)=0 AND Ref(Month(),-1)<Month();{first TDM,
alternate Long/Short}
LongExit:=Alert(LongEntry,4) AND Alert(LongEntry,3)=0;{auto exit 3 days
later}
ShortEntry:=Mod(Month(),2)=1 AND (Ref(Month(),-1)<Month() OR
(Ref(Month(),-1)=12 AND Month()=1));
ShortExit:=Alert(LongEntry,4) AND Alert(LongEntry,3)=0;

Init:=Cum(LongEntry<>2 AND LongExit<>2 AND
  ShortEntry<>2 AND ShortExit<>2)=1;

Pos:=Ref(If(BarsSince(LongEntry OR Init)>=
  BarsSince(LongExit OR Init),0,2) +
  If(BarsSince(ShortEntry OR Init)>=
  BarsSince(ShortExit OR Init),0,-1),-0);
{
EnterLong:=Alert(Pos<1,2) AND Pos>=1;
CloseLong:=Alert(Pos>=1,2) AND Pos<1;
EnterShort:=Alert(Abs(Pos)<>1,2) AND Abs(Pos)=1;
CloseShort:=Alert(Abs(Pos)=1,2) AND Abs(Pos)<>1;

Equity:=Cum(If(CloseLong,ValueWhen(1,CloseLong OR Init, LongExitPoint)-
ValueWhen(1,EnterLong OR Init,LongEntryPoint),
If(CloseShort,ValueWhen(1,EnterShort
OR Init, ShortEntryPoint) - ValueWhen(1,CloseShort OR Init
,ShortExitPoint),0)));
}