From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of jamespalmer
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2001 5:47 AM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC? Re: Dual Monitors

Daniel,

Thanks for the dual monitor posts.  I got a new Dell dual monitor system
that came with a Matrox G 450 32mb card.  I was having some trouble with
vertical and horizontal interference patterns in dual monitor mode, and
Dell was able to resolve the problem so they reluctantly agreed to switch
graphics cards.  They sent me an Appian Gemini 16mb which they claim is an
upgrade.  It is as far as the price. I haven't installed it yet so I don't
know.   But I'm curious.  Isn't a 16mb card worse than a 32mb or does it
depend on the manufacturer?

Thanks

James

----------
> From: Daniel Martinez <DanM@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: OFF TOPIC?  Re: Dual Monitors
> Date: Sunday, May 13, 2001 12:44 AM
>
> I think your best bet is an AGP Geforce 2 and a PCI Geforce 2 MX 400 if
you want
> the latest and fastest.  Because nVidia is now the best, you will also
get
> updated drivers.  Here is a search I did on PriceWatch for "Geforce2 PCI
> Retail":

http://bqueen.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?ne=29490&l=29444&qc=%22GEFORC
E2%22*+AND+%22PCI%22*+AND+%22RETAIL%22*&CiCodePage=Windows-1252&cr=geforce2+
pci+retail

> This is the Inno3D product description for their Geforce2 MX 400 (AGP &
PCI):
> http://www.inno3d.com/product_mx_2.html
> This is the link for their Geforce2 MX 400 PDF spec file:
> ftp://ftp.inno3d.com/pub/spec/pdf/dc07102.pdf
>
> They are currently producing both AGP & PCI cards.
>
> Daniel.
>

> neo wrote:
>
> > I have found that the manufacturer is more important than the chipset.
> > have purchased 2 TNT2 PCI cards from little known manufacturer and the
image
> > quality is very poor. I tried using an old PCI card and it is working
OK. I
> > tried the RADEON PCI card but it would not work even after hours with
tech
> > support. The problem is that the major manufacturers are not making 2nd
> > monitor PCI cards any longer.
> >
> > neo

configuration(s)", do
> > search for configurations "1792, 1689".  The best/fastest configuration
> > seems
> > to be "AGP & PCI 3DFX Voodoo5 5500, 3DFX VSA-100 chipset".  Too bad
they
> > went
> > belly up.  You might want to avoid 3DFX since they won't be writing any
more
> > driver upgrades.  The next best configuration seems to be AGP Geforce2
& PCI
> > Geforce2 MX 400 cards.  Because Matrox's G450 PCI doesn't have
bus-master
> > capability on non-Intel chipsets, there's not much to choose from right
now.

> > Good Luck,
> > Daniel.
> >
> > neo wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted to have a fast primary card and a high quality PCI secondary
> > card.
> > > I purchased the Radeon 64 MB AGP and Radeon PCI. Tech support assured
me
> > > they would work well together. They would not. I looked in MS's KB
and
> > most
> > > of the problems with dual monitors was with ATI cards. I tried an off
> > brand
> > > TNT2 but the image quality was poor. I have on order a 3dfx 5500 PCI.
Not