Trending vs. Consolidating Markets

There has been a lot of discussion here lately about determining if the
market is trending or consolidating. Most of the talk has been about the
ADX and the VHF. Let me suggest an alternate way of making this
determination. Take a look at the MACD, and divide it into four zones as
follows:

	Zone 1:  MACD>0 and MACD>MOV(MACD,9,E)

	Zone 2:   MACD>0 and MACD<MOV(MACD,9,E)

	Zone 3:   MACD<0 and MACD<MOV(MACD,9,E)

	Zone 4:   MACD<0 and MACD>MOV(MACD,9,E)

Now plot the MACD, ADX, and VHF for a given security. You will note that
the ADX and the VHF are rising when the MACD is in Zones 1 or 3, and they
will be declining when it is in Zones 2 or 4. Thus, MACD can tell you
whether the market is trending or consolidating, AND ALSO the direction if
it is trending. Check it out and see if you agree.

There will be no charge for this profound bit of information I am giving
you.    :-)

Tom Strickland