Anybody else having problem with Preferred's proprietory trading software?

  • To: "Metastock List" <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Anybody else having problem with Preferred's proprietory trading software?
  • From: "Vitaly Larichev" <vitaly-l@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 15:32:40 -0800

Hi,

It's about my nerve-racking experience with PreferredTrade brokerage's
software compared to which "anything else is too slow" as it claims on
its Web site; in fact it's much slower than trading through IE browser.
Like, to get the main trading window after logging in takes 80-90 sec, to
refresh data, get a response to a command - 15 sec minimum if at all. It
makes a mockery of the very idea of fast trading.

The support group at Preferred tried to do its best helping me, but
eventually gave up, saying that indeed they have 5 - 6 customers with a
similar problem.

I am puzzled, nothing fancy in my PC: 166 MMX Pentium, 64 Mb RAM,
20Gig HD, Win98 and cable Internet. I didn't have any problems for some
(!) time after installing their early version 3.0. Did I upgrade something
on my PC, or did they at their end that messed up everything, I don't have
any idea. Networking gurus, or anybody with PC common sense -  any
thoughts? I am to decide if to move to other broker. Also, any
recommendations on similar bare-bone brokerages: just equities, good
executions, less than $15/trade (on-line) commissions? Not too popular
- I hate to live through growing pains of popular businesses.

Other than this, I like Preferred - good handling of the account, fast
executions, convenient software (if works) ... But thiiiiiissssss ....!!!!!

Thanks a lot.

Cheers, Vitaly