ADX rising...

I'm just learning MS's formula language.   To
this end I've been working on simple exercises to get my feet wet.

I'm currently attempting to write a bit of code (for a MS
Expert) that as part of the Expert's criteria, requires that the ADX be
rising.

I thought perhaps I could accomplish this by
writing:
(in non-code language, for example's sake)

"want current ADX to be greater than the ADX 5 bars
ago
and
ADX 5 bars ago to be greater than ADX 10 bars ago,
etc."

I suppose I could do this using the
"ref" function,
i.e...

adx(14)>ref (adx(14), -5)

...and just keep stacking the prior periods (-5, -10,
etc).

This would ensure that the ADX is rising, but I'm sure
there is a more elegant way to pull this off, and perhaps with more control over
the slope of the ADX.

Any ideas?

Thx, jade