Re: OT viruses and Outlook 5.5

Neo:

Disabling scripting (Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options |
Security tab, select "Internet" zone icon, select "Custom Level" button) does
not affect the function of Internet Explorer, per se, but it could cause web
pages that are heavily dependant on scripting for special effects to not load
properly.  Usually, it's not a problem though.  I assign certain websites
(like banking and brokers) to the "Trusted Sites" zone, which I have
configured with much more permissive security settings.

I'm not familiar with Outlook 2000, but I expect the security settings are
similar to Outlook Express.  OE looks to the "Internet" zone settings for its
security configuration, including how to handle scripts in HTML e-mail.  You
have the option to change the zone from "Internet" to "Restricted", which uses
stricter security settings.  In OE (and hopefully similarly in Outlook), go to
Tools | Options and select the Security tab.  The "Security Zones" section is
where you can choose the appropriate zone.  If you switch to the "Restricted"
zone, that's not enough because some of its standard settings are insecure.
You will have to go back to the Control Panel's Internet Options and disable
several of the Restricted zone's permissive settings for better protection.

If you're looking for more information on Java scripts and ActiveX, refer to
Questions 62 through 65 of the security faq at
http://www.w3.org/Security/Faq/#contents

Regards.