From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Dave Nadeau
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2000 5:36 PM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Divergence

John,

I haven't coded this and run it out yet, but here's what I'd try:

I would combine a comparison of Linear Regression Slope with the HHV (or
LLV's)
for different periods of time.  Using 1 to 70 periods as you suggest, I'd
probably first screen for those tickers which have made new highs (or lows)
in
the last 20 periods, or last 20-40 periods.  Then I'd compare the
LinRegSlope of
the prices with the LinRegSlope of the RSI.  I'd then subtract the two and
eliminate any difference less than some threshold (say 0.5 or
1.0--experiment
with the results to find the right amount).  I'd probably take it a step
further
and compare the LinRegSlope of 70 periods with say 30 periods then 10
periods of
each series, just to narrow down the pattern.

Once I've established a divergence in slope, I'd then compare the recent
HHV(of
say the last 20 periods) with the HHV of the 20-40 bars ago period with the
40-70 bars ago period.  For a negative divergence, I'd want HHV1, HHV2, and
HHV3
of the prices to be constant or increasing, while those of the indicator
should
be decreasing.  ...and just the opposite for a positive divergence.

If anyone on the list is interested in the actual coding of this, we can
keep
the thread alive and post some Metastock Formula Language.  Or try some
other
approaches.

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO