Re: Market Gurus (Dr. Alexander Elder)

It is also in his book.  It is in the chapter 1 Individual Psychology, sub
heading : 10. losers anonymous, page 37 under the title of "A meeting for
one" at the last paragraph: "This is why every morning before trading I sit
in front of the quote screen in my office and say: ' Good morning, my name
is Alex, and I am a loser,  I have it in me to do serious financial damage
to my account.'"

One needs to read a few page prior to this statement and also the rest of
the chapter in order to assess the wisdom in this thought.

For those who do not have the book, let me illustrate it differently:  if
Indians against Cowboys is an NFL game, then it is o.k. for the Indians to
pump themselves up with saying "we can do it, we can defeat them, we are
big and powerful etc."  But if it is not the game  but a scene of real war
as it unfortunately occurred in the history of USA then the Indians need to
look at their arrows and knives compare them with the guns and rifles of
the Cowboys and say "Good morning, I am an Indian, though this land is mine
and I deserve to win, but  if I attack to these well organized gunmen with
my arrows my wife and my children can be left behind alone."

IOW, overenthusiasm and overconfidence though may lead to a temporary win
in sports it can lead to a disaster in real life.  So, Dr. Elder's
confession helps the rubber meet the road, feet the ground, noses kept
down.  It is a reality check "for some".  For Cowboys, it is a different
story of course.

My apologies for the native American members for the example.

Murat