=== Fourier Transform

> Hi All
>
> I will be most grateful if someone could tell me what is meant by
> amplitude, power and spectrum as related to fourier transforms in general
> and to the FFT function in meastock in particular. And what is the
> advantage of using a detrend smoothing method as opposed to a mean
> smooting method. Further what is the precise meaning of length in the FFT
> function.
>
> In relation to a sine wave or cosine wave, I know that the amplitude is
> the greatest devation from the X-axis, and that frequency is the number of
> cycles per unit time and is the inverse of the period.
>
> I might guess that spectrum means the uncoupled combination of waves of
> which the dominant cycle over a specific time period is only one of many,
> the power is the strength of the dominant cycle and the amplitude is the
> maximum price excursion of the dominant cycle from its mean position.
> Please correct me if I am wrong as I am seeking answers to a confusing
> topic

      I know that what we are trying to find out is the dominant cycle
length in days or weeks, etc, which is the       same as the period. If the
amplitude of the dominant cycle can be determined in addition to this, then
that                        is a bonus

ade Kolade
Synopsys Limited

Tel:       +44 (0)0207 250 1990
Fax:      +44 (0)0207 553 4713
Email:    adeniyi.kolade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www      http://www.synopsys.ltd.uk

> [...]
>           the dominent cycle length is longer than the number of data
>           points in the array, no cycle was found.
>           Example:
>           Array X = FFTCycle(CLOSE);
>           IF X[0] < QUOTE_COUNT THEN
>               Writeln(`Dominant cycle is `,X[0]);
>             ELSE
>               WriteLn(`No dominant cycle found');

> Fast Fourier Transform as it cannot be found in MetaStock, eg the Fourier
> Transform
> indicator is only present in program, is basicaly the FFT Function and
> therefore limited
> in use, since the Cycles formula indicator is not present, eg the Cycles
> will
> therefore have to be created as a custom indicator.
>

> FFTCycles indicator (Predominate cycles for FastFourierTransform)
> (version for MetaStock 6.5+)
>
> Name: FFTCycle
>
> Formula:
> {The indicator will always return the total
> amount of days a cycle has lasted. If the
> dominent cycle length is longer than the
> number of data points in the array,
> no cycle was found.
> The 0th entry of the result array contains
> the dominant cycle, eg indicator will start
> at day1 of the Chart.}
> {attempt 1}
> TiPrds:=300 {QUOTE_COUNT};
> FFTind:=FFT(C,TiPrds,1,DETREND,POWER);
> FFTtot:=Sum(FFTind,TiPrds);
> FrrHtot:=FFTind>(FFTtot/2)
>     {Most Predominate Cycle};
> FrrLtot:=FFTind<(FFTtot/2)
>     {Least Predominate Cycle};
> FrrAtot:=FFTtot-(FrrHtot+FrrLtot)
>     {Average Predominate Cycle};
> CycMstSig:=HighestSince(1,C>0,FFTind);
> CycLstSig:=LowestSince(1,C>0,FFTind);
> CycPlot:= {= Array X = FFTCycle}
>     If(BarsSince(C>0)<=FrrHtot,CycMstSig,
>     If(BarsSince(CycMstSig)>=FrrHtot,CycLstSig,
>     FrrAtot));
> If(CycPlot<TiPrds,CycPlot,-1)
> {this will only plot a small single dot on the TiPrds day in the Chart}
> {finding the total amount of available Records in the data file, eg
> to overcome the error:
> "This variable or expression must contain only constant data"}
> Rcrds:=Cum(C>0);
> {Rcrds results are 5098}
> {attempt 2}
> TiPrds:=300 {QUOTE_COUNT};
> FFTind:=FFT(C,TiPrds,1,DETREND,POWER);
> FFTtot:=Sum(FFTind,TiPrds)
>     {total summed values after TiPrds days};
> FFTHtot:=Sum(Highest(FFTind),TiPrds)
>     {total summed H values after TiPrds days};
> FFTLtot:=Sum(Lowest(FFTind),TiPrds)
>     {total summed L values after TiPrds days};
> FFTAtot:=FFTHtot-FFTLtot
>     {total summed Ave values after TiPrds days};
> FrrHtot:={Most Predominate Cycle}
>     If(FFTHtot>=((FFTtot/3)*2)=1,FFTHtot/TiPrds,
>          {Least Predominate Cycle}
>     If(FFTLtot<=((FFTtot/3)*2)=1,FFTLtot/TiPrds,
>     {Average Predominate Cycle}FFTAtot/TiPrds));
> FrrHtot
> {this will only plot a small single dot on the TiPrds day in the Chart}

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The contents of this email and any transmitted files are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. Synopsys hereby excludes any warranty and any
liability as to the quality or accuracy of the contents of this email
and any attached transmitted files. If you are not the intended
recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and
that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the Technology
Department at Synopsys Ltd. on +44 (0)20 7250 1990.