Re: The New Technical Trader

Jeff,

Vidya is a subject that comes up with some regularity on this list.  It
is already available in MStk as the variable moving average (Mov(C,n,V)
but Equis for their own inscrutable reasons choose not to identify it by
name. If you refer to the manual be aware that there is a typo in the
formula (0.078 should read 0.78).  Two or three years ago I coded the
version given in TAS&C and it overlaid the MStk version precisely,
except that at the time the MStk version was not correctly initialised -
that has since been corrected.  They acknowledged the typo at the time
but have done nothing about it.

As far as the 'circular reference' is concerned, you are right that
eventually you run out of data.  However adding a portion of yesterdays
value to a portion of todays value is common to several indicators, such
as the exponential moving average.  If no provision is made then usually
the indicator will start with a value of zero, rise rapidly at first,
then take some time to stabilise.  One answer is to initialise it.  For
a Vidya of the close, period N, you can initialise with something like
"If(Cum(1) < N, C,{else} ...)" with the Vidya formula as the 'else'.
Then at day N the indicator uses the (N-1) close for yesterdays data and
takes much less time to stabilise.

HHP