Re: Volatility

Let me clarify,

(from memory, as it has been a while since I worked on the idea)

UpVol = StDev(max(0,ROC(1))

DnVol = StDev(min(0,ROC(1))

eg

a string of ROCs

-1,+1,+2,-1,-1,+4,-2,-1,+2,+1,

we would be taking 2 Sdev measurements, one of the sequence

0,+1,+2,0,0,+4,0,0,+2,+1

and one of

-1,0,0,-1,-1,0,-2,-1,0,0

sure there is a problem calculating stdev with a lot of zeros because of the
distorted (read clipped)

normal distribution that results, but we are just trying to INDICATE
something right?

And now for the strategy...........

Remember I said that I would be using this strategy in a 'quiet market'
(measured by SDEV(ROC(1),30)

looking for a BREAKOUT. Therefore I am placing buy stops above and sell
stops below about

2 SDs (optimise this number if you must) from the market.

Now I never said that this method was not going to get me on the wrong side
of a false breakout.

If I'm wrong, I wear it!

But by only entering in a low SD market I have lower risk when I'm wrong. So
I position size, based on SD, to my risk tolerance level.

In fact on the successful breakout I would increase my position size
(because then I know I'm right).

This is what I call the "Polish Two Step"  :)

Briefly explained :

Place an order for half of the position you really want.

If you are stopped out - great it only cost you half to be wrong.

If you are right, order the remainder and you are only set at a slightly
worse price.

Of course, you then move your stop towards the market.

A great advantage of this is that it helps you pull the trigger - slowwwwly

You get to participate in the trade with less gut twisting.

Hopefully this has helped, Or have I opened another can or worms?

Michael Samerski
Metronome Trading Systems Pty Limited
email : michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www : http://www.metronome-trading.com.au