Re: bull/bear fear- tested

Hi Jeff,

Please continue your posts.  I've been maintaining BBF as a confirming
indicator for over a month as a result of your study & info on the system.
I'm still figuring how to best put it to use.  Although I have very good
feelings about the way you're using this system, I also like to see the
arguments made by the system's skeptics.  Those of us who are students of
trading strategies learn from the point, counterpoint discussions.

The only time I thought I had anything positive to contribute to the
discussion was when I suggested that a volume based confirming indicator
(CMF was suggested) might add another dimension to the system.

If I thought I could make 10% a month with BBF, I would stop everything else
I'm doing, and trade it right now.  Unfortunately, I don't have the trading
software that would tell me (by testing) what the long-term results would be
from trading this system, and how I would select which issues to trade, and
what confirming indicators work best, etc.

You are providing some valuable anecdotal evidence that the system has
value.

I think I'm going to get AIQ in a few weeks--it has some pretty fair testing
capabilities.  One of the challenges in achieving objective test results is
deciding which stocks to include in the test.  If you pick many of the
currently popular issues (CSCO, AAPL, etc.), or the high Relative Strength
issues, you may build a bias into the testing.  Some of the fellows on the
AIQ email lists have compiled lists of high Relative Strength issues for
previous months (the ones most likely to trend from that point on).  For
example, if you know what the hot issues were in December '98, you could use
those issues to "trade forward" from that time until now.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the BBF system may be a good choice for
a trading strategy, but how will it perform over the long term in different
markets (bull, bear, flat)?  This will be answered by someone testing it
(objectively), or better yet, someone actually doing it (you).

I hope you continue to share your results.  If I get to do some testing,
I'll forward the results.

Thanks,
Dan