Re: Layouts

Ed,

You have stumbled across what I believe to be the real bug in MetaStock.

The layouts, while extremely powerful (one can actually make money using them)
if you are a visual trader, are incredibly inconvenient.

Layouts are unbelievably touchy. Let the least little thing change in your
database and the whole layout will often refuse to open.
Why don’t they ALWAYS open at least partially??

And as far as non-chart editing - forget it.
In all my years of monitoring these types of groups, and of begging the
MetaStock people, I’ve found nothing practical.

A while back some kind folks posted the name of a file editor which would let
you into the layout files, but unless you had some type of programming skills
the thing was virtually useless.

At least I couldn’t figure out how to do it, and I talked on the phone
with the gentleman who authored it, and he confirmed my fears.
I even offered to pay him to edit mine, but he didn't want to be bothered.

No programming skills = no good.

Most of my layouts are now many many years old. Who knows what lurks
Inside of them?? Visual chart editing no longer suffices.

But I can’t seem to get anyone at MetaStock to care.

By the way, I distinctly recall some sort of simple editing tool being
included
In a distant DOS version of MetaStock. Why did they eliminate it?

Since it’s the squeaky wheel that gets greased I hope you will mention
this need to MetaStock loudly and often!!

And if there are any other ideas out there, I for one would certainly
appreciate hearing about them.
Ray