Re: Netscape & MS Mail Compatibility Problems

Al,
I usually send in plain text.  I don't send in HTML that much.  Whenever I
can, I'll force Netscape to send in plain text.  Before I send, there's a box
which appears and gives me the choice.  I looked at my previous messages and
this is what it says:
I'm going to force plain text on this message and see what the Content-Type
is.  I have been noticing strange format characters from people who send using
Outlook 8.x and greater, also from Outlook Express in the IE5 package.

I looked at your email program version and it's Microsoft Internet Mail
4.70.1155.  My MS Outlook Express, which is in IE4.0 SP2 and I don't use, is
version 4.72.3612.1700.  It looks like you're using the older "Internet Mail"
instead of Outlook Express. Open your IE and look at Help>About.  It should
say IE4.0, update versions SP2.  That's Service Pack 2.

Since you have Windows 95, you can go here and download all of the Windows 95
updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/
This page includes many updates, such as Y2K for Win95.

This is where the IE downloads are:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/windows.htm

I don't recommend you download IE5.  Choose Internet Explorer 4.01 with
Service Pack 2.  You will first download an initial file which will allow you
to choose which IE4 package to download.  Save the initial file IESETUP.EXE, I
believe, and run it.  The full package is rather large but I recommend that
one.  I think it was 22 MB's.  While you are at it, you should download the
latest "Updated Microsoft Virtual Machine for Internet Explorer 4.x".  Also,
download the Outlook Express Y2K update.  Run the 2 latter files after you
have completed your IE SP2 install.  Do not delete any files you have
downloaded until you test your install (see below).

Because IE is integrated into Win9x, it is vulnerable to hackers.  After you
are through with the above, go to this page and see if you need any security
updates.  The pages you click on will tell you if you need the download or
not.  These downloads are optional, see below before installing:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Ie/security/default.asp

You will probably need:
"Favorites" security update, May 27, 1999
"MSHTML" update, April 21, 1999
"DHTML Edit Control" Update, April 21, 1999

Granted these updates will probably take you all day, but that's why MicroSoft
exists:  To make you waste your time installing software.  <G>  That's why I
know so much about computers.  <VBG>

After you install all of the above, test your IE4 SP2 install by going to this
page:
http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/downloadCatalog/dldWord.htm#9798

If you get a "Script Error", then MicroSoft did it to you again.  IE4 seems to
lose its ability to run scripts rather easily.  I wouldn't be surprised if 20%
of the IE4 users on this ListServ couldn't run that page.  To fix this, run
your IESETUP.EXE file again, the first file you downloaded, and reinstall IE4
SP2.  This time the install will be fast because you will have all of the
files in the C:\IESETUP FILES folder (I forgot the exact name of the folder).
This folder will also have a copy of the IESETUP.EXE file you initially
downloaded.  On this install, don't install the security updates.  I suspect
they do something to IE4 SP2 which removes its ability to handle scripts.

FWIW, I ran the security updates and then couldn't run scripts.  I was forced
to redownload IE4 SP2 and reinstall, about a 2 hour download.  If you could
harness all the time MicroSoft forces its customers to waste, you could
probably increase the GNP by 5% (or create another high-tech company).  LOL

After you have installed and tested your IE4 SP2 installation, you may delete
the Java VM and Outlook Y2K update files.  Also, go to your Control
Panel>Add/Remove Programs and double-click on "Internet Explorer Install
Files".  This will remove the temporary folder you created during download.
If you don't mind having an extra 27 MB's on your hard drive, you can keep the
files.  When I get a larger drive, I will probably keep all of my downloads.
What's 300 MB's out of 18 GB's anyway?

Good Luck,
Daniel.