Re: Data Folders in Metastock

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your excellent suggestions.  It gave me food for thought over the
weekend.

Jim wrote:
I use SP100...SP400...SP500 under the data directory......so I can just
load the symbol lookup list before I download....i upgrade the list every
other month....and before I do anything i go out tho the explorer and
delete all my subdirectorires under data...then set the downloader to go
off around midnite and go to bed..... But with the OTC..ie..nasdaq lookup
group..I separate into 4 directories..because I get the message ..not more
than 2000 symbols " in a directory..so I have
nasd-a-g..nasd_h-j...nasd_k-p,,,nasd_q-x..or something very close...and it
is a pain the the butt when i update the symbol list because i cannot
select all......if anyone has a suggestion to make it easier.please let me
know....this still beats maintaining the SP groups manually..as I had done
for a few years....

Jim Barone wrote:
A lot of the assignment of a stock to an industry is based on experience
collected over the years. But there are many sources of stocks by industry.
Value Line is one and it is likely available in the business section of your
public library. Each bimonthly issue is dedicated to one or two industries.
IBD is about to publish an entire book on all their industry groupings with
list of the stocks in each industry.

Another source is a good data base such as Comtex or Reuters where you can
punch in the symbol and retrieve the latest news on the stock. These
retrievals will typically have a profile on the company's business hence
their
industry.

For stocks that do not readily fit into a particular industry, I place them
in
a folder called "data". That is, Equis/data/data. (Autos are in
Equis/data/autos).

Hope this helps,

Jim Barone

John wrote:
Steve...

I don't do anything special with the data directories as I thought it
would be hard to find a stock once it was placed in a particular sector.
Some companies may have business in more than one and I may have trouble
remembering which sector I choose. Obviously I could click around and
eventually find it but listing stocks alphabetically makes them easy to
look up. What I started doing instead awhile ago was to add a 2 letter
code to the end of stock name which indicates its sector. This has been
a good deal of work but it also has been worthwhile. I've seen TC2000
and the group/sector indications, it would be great to have something
like that with Metastock.

Regards... John

Jim Greening wrote:
Dan,
     I use the S&P industry groups or the IRL that both come with the Quotes
Plus 2 database.

JimG

Dan wrote:
Hi Jim,
I'd like to do what you're doing--can you give me some advice?  How do you
determine which industry group to assign a stock to?  Do you decide based on
your experience, or do you get the info from a database?
Thanks,
Dan

Jim Barone wrote:
Steve:

I use separate DATA folders for each industry I follow and I've done that
from
day one five years ago. I did this to be able to readily compare the charts
for each stock within the industry. Separately, I keep one folder for the
INDICES available for each industry and another folder for weekly data for
each industry GROUP.

DATA folders include Airlines, Autos, Biotech, Chemicals, Papers, Drugs,
Semiconductors, etc., to name a few.

The major benefit to this practice is that stocks within an industry tend to
move together. When the move starts, a study of each chart helps to make a
better timing selection of a stock that tends to move faster than the others
or has better TA support.

Hope this helps.

Jim Barone

Al Taglavore wrote:
I keep D:\equis\data\stocks
          D:\equis\data\futures
          D:\equis\data\indexes
          D:\equis\data\98futures (expired futures contracts)
          and on  and on for each catagory.
In my stock folder, I will keep a layout of retail stocks, oil stocks, etc.
In my futures folder, I will keep a layout of currencies.
Works well for me.

Al Taglavore

Michel Dussault wrote:
Steve,
fwiw, I use 2 databases as per attached ".gif" files.
The larger one (7,528) is based on the Investor reference Library
database. No expert but I like working with it since it classifies
stocks in industry group and then by company.

My smaller database has a small type of ranking.

My .02