Re: tactical patterns

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV>Walter,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I finally got around to reading this article.&nbsp; Here's my
interpretation of it's content.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Equilateral quad refers to the condition equation for the inside bar
pattern.&nbsp; The conditional amount required to qualify the pattern is the
same &quot;equi&quot; amount inside of the high and the low from the previous
bar.&nbsp; That is where the 0.01 comes in.&nbsp; To qualify the inside bar must
be greater than 1% of the range inside the H &amp; L.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I don't understand what he is saying about trading over 100 different
patterns in many markets unless he's refering to someone with a huge account,
fast computers, and maybe some staff on shifts to trade 24 hrs/day.&nbsp; Since
the signals don't occur often, I guess a trader could be trading 33 commodities
on a monthly, weekly, daily, and intra day level.&nbsp; So that would be 33
scans each day, 33 scans at weeks end, and 33 scans at month end. To me trading
the same contract on 3 or 4 different time levels would be quite complex and
violate the KISS rule, even though his basic trading approach is simple and does
fit the rule &quot;KISS&quot;.&nbsp; In other words the setup is complete
(inside bar), the condition is met (open higher (or lower) than the setup, act
and stick to the plan.&nbsp; Like beauty, KISS is in the mind of the
beholder.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The attached chart was just a visual aid to me in trying to understand what
Mr. Downs was saying and to tie the signals in with the trade reports.&nbsp; My
chart flags the setup month whereas in the article the actual trade month is
flagged.&nbsp; Interesting.&nbsp; I'll have to test this further on different
commodities over several time frames on back adjusted contracts.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Chuck</DIV>
<DIV>File att:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR>From: Walter Lake
&lt;wlake@xxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>To: metastock
bulletin board &lt;<A
href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR>Date:
Monday, December 28, 1998 8:33 PM<BR>Subject: tactical
patterns<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>&gt;I was looking at Mr. Downs' latest tactical
pattern in the January issue of<BR>&gt;TASC. Does anyone know why this &quot;two
bar pattern&quot; is called an &quot;Equilateral<BR>&gt;quads
...&quot;?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Why is the Range multiplied by such a small number
(0.01)?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Interesting that he says on page 40, that &quot;... a
tactical short-term pattern<BR>&gt;trader might be trading more than 100
different patterns over many markets.<BR>&gt;...&quot; That's a lot of scans,
100 different pattern scans just in one time<BR>&gt;frame. Daily, weekly,
monthly .. gives you 300 scans to run! How many<BR>&gt;patterns do you have to
research to get 100 &quot;good&quot; scans?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Does that violate his
4th strategic guideline on page 22 &quot;Simplicity .. KISS<BR>&gt;...&quot;,
etc.?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Is that the direction that trading is going? ... Brute
computer horsepower?<BR>&gt;Multiple computers scanning different time frames
looking for personalities<BR>&gt;of markets, tendencies, etc?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Dr.
Simons' article in the December Futures Magazine talks about how
the<BR>&gt;changing markets have changed technical analysis. &quot;The changes
in regimes<BR>&gt;{i.e., night trading, electronic trading, etc.} altered the
frequency of<BR>&gt;common signposts for technical analysis. The
&quot;gap&quot;, ... has been a notable<BR>&gt;casualty.&quot; (Note: this is a
serious article, not a casual,
&quot;off-hand&quot;<BR>&gt;comment.)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Kaufman also noted the same
difficulty of using technical analysis to trade<BR>&gt;mature markets in his
book &quot;Smarter Trading&quot;.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Dr. Simons', whose articles on
spreads and options are superior, ends the<BR>&gt;article &quot;... None of this
favours longer-term position trading - the target<BR>&gt;of most technical
analysis - but it does favour day-traders, limited-risk<BR>&gt;options traders
and low margin-to-equity fundamental traders.&quot;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;If anyone has
read these articles, I'd be interested to hear your opinion<BR>&gt;and any
questions that they raised in your mind.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Best
regards<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Walter<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; </DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>
Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\TTT_BONDS.gif"