From: Christian Baude <BAUDECB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, January 06, 1999 11:52 PM
Subject: Re: 6.52 Patch "BUG?" PROBLEM

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:56:17 -0800, you wrote:

>Part the "patch problems" are due to the fact many people are confused
about
>which version of Metastock they have and which patch to use for which
>Metastock program. There are patches for MS 6.5 (EOD), MS 6.51 (RT), and
>also for earlier versions of Metastock.

>From the very beginning I saw these "fantasy" numerical versions as a
fiasco. It violates every rule of logic, and violates software
protocols.  The numbering sequence appears to have been created only
to confuse the user. It is a marketer's scheme, and not a developer's
sequence.

Past sequence dictates that any MS 6.5 should be the EOD version. The
start of the confusion occurred when Equis named the RT version 6.5x.
If it wanted to be fancy, it could have pioneered a software Dewey
decimal system.   e.g. MSW 6.RT.52   and MSW 6.EOD.52, etc.

The RT version should start as a 1.0 or follow the next number after
the DOS RT version (whatever that was).

The shortened name should fully disclose the program e.g.:

MSW = MetaStock for Windows EOD

MSWRT = MetaStock for Windows Real Time

Could't use MSRT, since this implies the MetaStock for DOS RT.

I see a very similar confusion on all the foreign list servers.

Many can't understand that we are skipping from 6.5 to 6.52.  Some are
trying to apply a 6.51 patch!!!!

Personally, all this could have been avoided if the MSW would have
started with a 1.0 designation. Forget those that avoid buying 1.0
version. MS is a vertical program for the more educated, it will sell
no matter what version it started with.  If Equis is applying the
logic of the marketers, they are trying to sell to the masses, and
forego MS's analytical value, and go for the glitz.  That may explain
some unresolved issues.  However Equis support is commendable.

Such is life.  This is why there is always an opportunity for a new
comer.

BTW, FWIW.  The first patch from December worked great. The second
patch from Jan 6th, bombed on my laptop.  Back to square one :(

-= Chris ß =-
Using MetaStock 6.52 | FastTrack | FastRUBE | FastTools | TC2000