Re: Downloader updating multiple directories

CMA writes:

> Thanks to Ton Maas and Zvi for suggestions. Equis says to check
> "Create New Files", but this doesn't work, since it creates new
> folders with one day's data, instead of appending the data.
>    So far no combination of choices in the Destination Option tab has
> been able to do it. The only result is an attempt to update a
> nonexistent destination folder called c:\equis\A\sourcefile.txt
>   After 4 emails to Equis tech support, it is clear to me that Equis
> doesn't have a clue on how to update multiple data directories.
>    Has anyone actually been able to do it?
>    Any suggestions for a replacement for the Downloader, a program
> which can update multiple directories?

I used to update multiple dirs nightly, using multiple input files.

Here was my setup:

files:
------
c:\invest\a.dat
c:\invest\b.dat
c:\invest\indexes.dat

subdirs:
--------
c:\invest\A\
c:\invest\B\
c:\invest\C\
c:\invest\indexes\

I was converting ascii to metastock.  The files were named the same as
the subdirs strictly as a convenience; they needn't be named the same.

In the downloader, I used "c:\invest\*.dat" as the input filename.  Do
*NOT* "traverse directories" in the source tab.  *DO* "traverse
directories" in the destination tab.

It worked fine, though the downloader is dog-slow.  If I recall
correctly, I had to "seed" the subdirs first; in other words, I had to
put at least one days worth of data for each security I was updating in
the correct directory.  I'm not sure if that was required or for some
other reason.  It's been quite a long time since I did it, but it _did_
work.

--
Dragonriders do it in between
http://www.unixgeek.com/cgi-bin/motd.pl - PGP email preferred