Relative Strength Comparative Calculation Warning!

  • To: Equis Metastock Listserv Post <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Relative Strength Comparative Calculation Warning!
  • From: Daniel Martinez <DanM@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 14:23:52 -0500 (EST)

MetaStock & Quotes-Plus Users:
This is a warning to MetaStock users who use the Relative
Strength Comparative (RSC) feature in MetaStock.  As you know, I
have been notifying Quotes-Plus about missing dates in their
data.  If a single date is missing and you use that ticker in a
composite, the calculation for that composite will be incorrect.

This morning, I realized this could also apply to the RSC.  I
called Equis and confirmed this.  If a single date is missing and
you do a RSC, your figures will probably be incorrect.
Therefore, I recommend you use the Downloader and verify either
that the number of records is the same or write down the last
figures in each ticker.  Then manually calculate and compare to
what shows up in MetaStock.

For some reason, Equis never wrote code for their composites or
RSC's to make sure the dates were identical.  They should write
code to drop any dates which are missing and simply not place
them on the chart.

Daniel.