Re: QuoteMonster and Yahoo Indexes

Jim,
I finally downloaded and installed the Perl Standard Distribution file and your
QuoteMonster Historical download file.  I was able to download Yahoo's Dow Jones
Industrial Average data dating back to Oct 1, 1928.  This is most excellent,
especially so since I was hoping for data going back only 20 years.  The file has
18,647 records(!) and the date field was parsed correctly.  I converted the file
using the Downloader and used the Downloader to sort the file.  Because Quattro
Pro's line limit is 8,192 lines, I used the Downloader instead.  I don't know what
Excel's limit is.  It is easier to use the Downloader for sorting anyway.

I believe subsequent downloads can be simultaneously converted and merged into
existing MetaStock data using the Downloader.  Sorting must be done after each
merge.

To anyone who's interested in Yahoo data.  The following Indexes are available and
I am sure there are many others which I have not investigated yet (SOX, XAU):
Ticker      Description                  Start_Date
^SPX        S&P500                       Jan/3/1950
^DJI        DOW JONES INDUSTRIALS        OCT/1/1928
^DJU        DOW JONES UTILITIES          JAN/2/1929
^DJT        DOW JONES TRANSPORTS         OCT/1/1928
^RUT        RUSSELL 2000                 SEP/10/1987

For those of you who are newbies at using computers, it is necessary to change one
line in the QMH file in the QuoteMonster Historical ZIP file.  You must change the
"my $header" line so that it looks like this:
# If your data file must contain a header, enter it here. An example of an
optional
# Metastock header is on the next line following the #:

Perhaps the QMH file can be edited, Jim?  The QMH Readme.now file mentions a "LWP
module".  This module appears to included in the Perl Standard Distribution (PSD)
file.  I deleted the extra copies of files created during the UNZIP process but
tranferred the "distfiles" folder to the x:\Perl folder.  Because I know so much
about computers and installations, I was able download, install PSD, and convert
to MS format.  I don't know if newbies can climb the learning curve as well.

Good job Jim and thank you for creating your web page and QMH file.

Daniel.