Re: Conversion of Data

On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 18:00:02 -0700, you wrote:

>you can use a Worden DOS utility called Datacon to move the TC2000 data
>directly to Metastock.  If you're converting from TC2000 version 4, you must
>first covert it to version 3 format from within version 4, then re-convert from
>version 3 to Metastock using the Datacon utility.

I don't know, but I use a very simple Export in TC2000.

FileFormat:	ASCII
Time:		1 Week {this is to capture any price corrections}
DataPath:	Your choice {mine is c:\TC2000\ASCIPORT}
ExportFileName:	TCEXPORT.PRN
DateFormat:	MM/DD/YY
FieldOrder:	SDOHLCV2
DirectionOutput:	Ascending.

Once done, after "eyeballing" the charts in TC, I go to MS's DL and
do:

TOOLS | CONVERT

Source:
	FileType - ASCII
	Folder:	Your choice {mine is c:\TC2000\ASCIPORT}
Destination:
	FileType - Metastock
	Folder: Your Metastock data folder.

OK .... why so much problem when MS has a direct TC2000 import
feature. It dates back to the old days when I used the DOS downloader
that had a command line option. It was even easier in those days. A
simple batch file updated the works. I've also turned on the Replace
Matching Dates, so my data should be clean.

FWIW, I cannot vouch for ALL quotes. but I have noted changes in their
quotes within 24 hours, if they had an error the previous night. So I
must give them some credit.  AND that is why I'm using TC2000 cleaned
up data. Warner (now Dial Data) was awful and arrogant. Their data was
FULL of errors, and never corrected, unless YOU the person paying for
the data, would call them up and tell them! Making you pay and be
their data watchdog.

The direct TC2000 import in the downloader states:

TC2000 data files are stored in a series of folders beneath the
"c:\tc2000\data" folder.  For example, all securities beginning with
the letter "A" are located in the "c:\tc2000\data\a" folder.  All
securities beginning with the letter "B" are located in the
"c:\tc2000\data\b" folder, etc.  Rather than converting these folders
one at a time, specify the Source Folder as "c:\tc2000\data" and
choose the Traverse source folders checkbox in the Conversion Options
dialog (see Conversion Options Dialog).

If you need to convert more than 2,000 TC2000 data files at once, be
sure to also choose the Traverse destination folders checkbox in the
Conversion Options dialog (see Conversion Options Dialog).  All
securities beginning with the letter "A" will be stored in a
destination folder named "A" beneath the specified destination folder.
All securities beginning with the letter "B" will be stored in a
destination folder named "B" beneath the specified destination folder.
And so forth.  The only exception to this is if a matching security
(same ticker symbol and periodicity) is found beneath the specified
destination folder, in which case the security's data is simply
appended to the matching file.

-= Chris ß =-
Using MetaStock 6.5 | FastTrack | FastRUBE | FastTOOLS | TC2000