accumulation/distribution

On a post of 8/8 in response to an inquiry from Michael, Harley Meyer
wrote:

"......The large
interest who is supporting the market on the
inside is running low on resources and does not
want to spend those resources on some one shorting
the stock as opposed to eliminating someone who
already holds the stock and is going to sell it......"

I have been reappraising the values that I place on volume, after observing
that all volume "is not created equal".  My question is how can those
supporting the market determines if someone is selling short or holding the
actual stock?

Al Taglavore