Re:MS vs Tradestation

I run both MS (6.5) and TradeStation (v4.16).
In a small nutshell:
MS cannot compare with TS in terms of system and indicator writing and
testing.
TS allows very complex trading rules, intra-day stops, combining of
systems, etc.
and can do everything in real time, even monitor your trading systems.
MS runs a little faster, and is stronger in graphics and ease of putting
indicators on the chart.
Tradestation is virtually bulletproof, whereas I've had lots of trouble with
MS crashing.
If you want a piece of software that does almost everything, get TS. It's
expensive.
If you can live with MS' limitations, it's a great value.
I use both almost every day depending on what I need.

I think that trading systems and indicators should be SIMPLE,
and if you can't find something that works in MetaStock, you don't need TS.